Re: Date / Time Data Type

From: Frank Bax <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Date / Time Data Type
Date: 2005-01-31 19:01:56
Lists: pgsql-novice

At 01:36 PM 1/31/05, Van Ingen, Lane wrote:

>I am converting from another database, where the line below was defined as
>a 'datetime'
>datatype. Am trying to convert that data, and it is telling me that my
>default date is out of
>range, and that I perhaps need to do a datestyle setting.
>
>After looking at the docs, and even CAST, I still have not been able to
>figure out how to
>set this up, other than just defining it as aa char(19) field.. Does
>anyone have any suggestions?
>
>CREATE TABLE adns_neighbor_history (
> ifID mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
> updatedTime timestamp NOT NULL default '0000-00-00
> 00:00:00', <------ rejected
> remoteNet char(15) default NULL,
> PRIMARY KEY (ifID,updatedTime)

My suggestion is remove the 'not null' and convert the '0000-00-00
00:00:00' values to NULL. MySQL has this dumb rule that if you specify a
"NOT NULL", the column will default to an "empty" value that behaves very
much like NULL does, so why not just use NULL instead of the "empty value"
(which pgsql does not support)?