Date Formats and Conversions

From: David Rickard <David(dot)Rickard(at)GTScompanies(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Judith Strawser <judiths(at)GTScompanies(dot)com>
Subject: Date Formats and Conversions
Date: 2003-10-16 18:00:47
Lists: pgsql-novice

We have a intranet site we're converting to PostgreSQL; there are numerous
pages where users have to enter dates (for search ranges, hire dates etc);
the dates are assumed to be in MM/DD/YY format in the code (using
TO_DATE(<variable>, 'MM/DD/YY')--but users being users, sometimes dates get
entered as MM/DD/YYYY--and then PostgreSQL only uses the first 2 digits of
the year (resulting in e.g., a hire date being entered as '10/10/2003' and
stored as '2020-10-10'); we could handle this in code--truncating long
dates or swapping date-conversion formats--before executing the SQL
statement; but is there a way to tweak PostgreSQL to be more flexible on
converting date values?
Alternatively, there are screens where date fields are optional (e.g.,
termination date); and if we do an INSERT/UPDATE with a null value in such
a field [e.g., SET <date-field> = TO_DATE('','MM/DD/YY'], then PostgreSQL
is spontaneously generating random dates for the field; again, we could add
conditional logic to omit the field from the INSERT/UPDATE when the input
is null--but is there another way to handle this?

--

David Rickard
Software Engineer

The GTS Companies:
GTS Publishing Services, GTS Graphics, GTS Innova:
Your Single-Source Solution!
Los Angeles CA * York, PA * Boston MA * New Delhi, India

David(dot)Rickard(at)GTSCompanies(dot)com
Visit us on the World Wide Web
http://www.gtscompanies.com
5650 Jillson St., Los Angeles, CA 90040
(323) 888-8889 x331