Re: postmaster growing to consume all memory

From: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postmaster growing to consume all memory
Date: 2004-01-28 05:39:22
Lists: pgsql-general

I'll try to look into that. I'm doing the processing on 7.3.4, so I'll have
to find some spare resources for 7.4.1. Maybe it was a fluke or something.
I did an "overwrite" make install into the same directory as the original
7.3.4 (new data directory though), so maybe I shouldn't have done that?

However, is there a way to get postgresql to handle this more gracefully?
E.g. once it starts using more than max mem it switches or
aborts_and_switches to a more disk based method? Doesn't look easy tho ;).

No offense intended but I doubt the estimator will get things right all the
time (esp if my built-in Murphy Field Intensifier happens to be on).