help dealing with pghoster, who is gone with my data

From: Matt Wong <mwong04(at)gsb(dot)columbia(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: help dealing with pghoster, who is gone with my data
Date: 2004-07-19 04:38:36
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I know this is a bit late, but, can anyone please help!!??? does anyone at
all have any idea how I might be able to get back some of my data from the
website that was hosted at pghoster before they vanished? (I know, I should
have backed up more often, but I unfortunately started to get a bit lazy--
and made the other mistake of relying on pghoster's "guarantee"-- and
didn't back up as often as I should have...)

Their staff has disappeared and their website (as well as my website that
was being hosted by them) no longer works properly. However, I can see that
at least some, if not all, of my data is still on their servers (e.g. on
web pages that had little or no scripting commands on them). I cannot,
however, bacup, modify, delete, or otherwise access any of my underlying
data (including data or scripted web pages / files, or, of course, any of
my postgresql database).

I have located the latest "business" of pghoster's founder, Roj Niyogi, at
http://www.tripodsupport.com. However, I have not been able to get in touch
with Roj except to leave email and voice messages (at both pghoster.com and
tripodsupport.com) asking if he can help me get my data back (none of which
are returned). I also called the number that was listed with my credit card
company and it goes to an unrelated person's voicemail.

I think that pghoster owes its former customers-- both legally and
ethically-- more than they have given (which was absolutely nothing-- no
notice, no opportunity to make sure our websites stayed up before they axed
them, etc). Any suggestions or help that anyone can offer is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Sincerely,
-Matt