Is NULLIF nullable?

From: "Dean Gibson (DB Administrator)" <postgresql4(at)ultimeth(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Is NULLIF nullable?
Date: 2004-11-10 03:29:49
Lists: pgsql-sql

Recently I asked about why a field from the nullable side of an OUTER JOIN
was causing the JOIN to be inefficient, and was told that it was because
that field had a CASE statement as part of its definition, and that CASE
(and by extension COALESCE) were non-nullable constructs.

Is NULLIF nullable, in that sense?

Reason: I'd like to define a VIEW with a field definition thusly:

'P.O. Box' || NULLIF( po_box, ' '::char ) AS ...

And I would like the field thusly defined to be nullable.

-- Dean