Re: Non-linear Performance

From: Doug Fields <dfields-pg-general(at)pexicom(dot)com>
To: "Peter A(dot) Daly" <petedaly(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Non-linear Performance
Date: 2002-06-08 04:28:18
Lists: pgsql-general

I have my Dual P4-Xeon 2.4 ghz 8gb RAM Adaptec SCSI RAID 5 PostgreSQL
server coming in Friday, from my vendor POGO Linux (highly recommended). I
expect most of the 8gb to be used by buffer cache directly by the operating
system. I will let you know how it compares to the dual P3-1ghz 2GB IDE
RAID 1 server we use now.

The server cost just over half the price of a DB2 enterprise single-CPU
license. Thank god for Postgres!

My biggest fear is that the added CPU speed will be sub-linear, and that
the real speed improvement would come if PG would multi-thread individual
queries.

Cheers,

Doug