Removing Referential Integrity

From: Doug Fields <dfields-pg-general(at)pexicom(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Removing Referential Integrity
Date: 2002-05-25 20:07:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

In 7.2.1...

I have a few tables built with REFERENCES for which I would like to
permanently remove these constraints in the search of higher performance
INSERTs.

From pg_dump, I see these commands:

-- Disable triggers
UPDATE "pg_class" SET "reltriggers" = 0 WHERE "relname" = 'accounts';
-- Enable triggers
UPDATE pg_class SET reltriggers = (SELECT count(*) FROM pg_trigger where
pg_class.oid = tgrelid) WHERE relname = 'accounts';

I'm not sure, however, if that actually permanently removes the CONSTRAINT
TRIGGER. There does not seem to be an equivalent REMOVE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER,
and DROP TRIGGER won't work on the trigger reported by psql's \d command.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Doug