Re: java.lang.OutOfMemory Exception with a large number

From: Dave Harkness <daveh(at)MEconomy(dot)com>
To: "Arsalan Zaidi" <azaidi(at)directi(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL jdbc list" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: java.lang.OutOfMemory Exception with a large number
Date: 2001-10-03 19:44:17
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-jdbc

At 12:13 AM 10/3/2001, Arsalan Zaidi wrote:
>At one point in my program, I was inserting a large number of rows
>(~600,000) using a prepared statement. Here are some things I noticed.
>
>1. It's very slow! :-)
>2. Initially, the cpu monitor shows a high level of cpu utilisation, but
>this slowly drops off with a blip every second or so. Basically, things slow
>down as the process chugs along.
>3. I eventually get a java.Lang.OutOfMemory exception after approx 1:00 -
>1:30 hrs.

This is a total guess, but is it possible that the PreparedStatement is
gathering warnings on every execution? Try doing

stmt.clearWarnings();

inside the loop. I assume that setting parameter values replaces old values
immediately, so there''s no real reason to do

stmt.clearParameters();

each time as well, but it probably couldn't hurt. :)

Peace,
Dave