Processors vs Memory

From: Hilary Forbes <hforbes(at)dmr(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Processors vs Memory
Date: 2003-10-22 10:09:55
Lists: pgsql-performance

If I have a fixed amount of money to spend as a general rule is it better to buy one processor and lots of memory or two processors and less memory for a system which is transactional based (in this case it's handling reservations). I realise the answer will be a generalised one but all the performance bits I've read seem to talk about adjusting memory allocation. The client has received the general advice from their hardware supplier that 2 Xeon processors and less memory is better but for postgresql I'm thinking they might be better off with a single processor and loads of memory. The OS is Red Hat Linux.

How long is a piece of string I guess but all comments welcome!

TAI
Hilary

Hilary Forbes
DMR Computer Limited: http://www.dmr.co.uk/
Direct line: 01689 889950
Switchboard: (44) 1689 860000 Fax: (44) 1689 860330
E-mail: hforbes(at)dmr(dot)co(dot)uk