toast table growing indefinitely? Known problems?

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: toast table growing indefinitely? Known problems?
Date: 2002-12-02 03:23:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Is there a known problem with TOAST tables growing indefinitely in 7.2?

We have a database that has large text chunks inserted & deleted regularly,
and despite regular vacuums, the toast table continues to grow. We can not
do a VACUUM FULL since it's a 24x7 system, but we do VACUUM frequently.

Based on other threads we have tried using REINDEX on the base table, but
we have confirmed that it is not the toast index table that is the main
consumer, and it does not seem to help.

On a separate issue, we have seen toast indexes growing indefinitely on 7.3
despite VACUUM FULL. Attempting a reindex results in:

# reindex table tt;
WARNING: table "tt" wasn't reindexed
REINDEX

Any help and/or pointers would be appreciated.

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.B.N. 75 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_
Tel: (+61) 0500 83 82 81 | _________ \