Access Linked Tables

From: Karl Swisher <kswisher(at)buffalocoal(dot)biz>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Access Linked Tables
Date: 2002-11-15 17:34:57
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hello,
I'm having a problem with Access link tables. I have set up an .mdb file
with links to the tables in Postgresql. The .mdb file is on the network
drive. The links were made using the DSN connection from the pull down
menu File\Get External Data\Link Tables. I can view, update and insert
data to the tables in the Datasheet view on my machine. However I can't
look at the tables when I run the .mdb file on another machine unless I
first delete and relink the tables on that machine. Then for the
same .mdb file to work on my machine I have to repeat the process. Access
returns an error "ODBC--connection to 'PGSQL-Buffalo Trucking' failed" and
then "Microsoft Access can't open the table in Datasheet view". I've
turned on the logs in the driver but have been unable to find any generated
log. I've even tried (as a test) giving full public access to the tables
in Postgresql with the same results. I've also tried using a single
user/password in the DSN on each machine matching a user and password in
Postgresql with the same results.

I would rather not if possible have a separate .mdb file for each user
since all the reports, forms, queries are in Access and any modification to
them would require modifying all the files.

I have the code under HOWTOs\Access VBA on linking tables from the
psqlODBC web site. Should this be used instead of linking through the menus ?

I'm using psql-ODBC 7.02.00.1, Postgresql 7.2 on the Linux machine and the
Windows client machines are all Win2k-sp2 running Office2k.

Thanks
Karl