Re: Vote totals for SET in aborted transaction

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vote totals for SET in aborted transaction
Date: 2002-04-27 01:54:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 11:50 25/04/02 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >
> > Just curious here, but has anyone taken the time to see how others are
> > doing this? For instance, if we go with 1, are going against how everyone
> > else handles it? IMHO, its not a popularity contest ...

Dec/RDB (and I think Oracle as well) ignores transactions. Even
configuration commands (eg. setting date formats etc) ignore transactions.

I think the key thing here is that they view variables as part of a
programming language built on top of the database backend (like plpgsql).
As a result they separate variable management from database management.

FWIW, I would be in the '?' camp - assuming that means some kind of
session-specific setting...failing that, I'd probably start looking for an
interactive form of plpgsql, so I could get persistant variables.