Re: RFD: PostgreSQL Schema Support

From: "Tim Finch, FosterFinch Ltd" <tim(at)fosterfinch(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RFD: PostgreSQL Schema Support
Date: 2002-04-05 16:22:34
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

At 13:40 05/04/2002 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>I'm currently starting to implement support for some of the more desirable
>features of PostgreSQL 7.3 which is now well in development. One of these

I wish the desirable features for 7.3 included all of alter table
implemented. Do you know if it is BTW? A bit out of touch with the 'to do'
and 'Now done' lists.

>There are a number of ways we could implement this, and I'd like to get some
>feedback on what people think is right.

Tricky.
My gut feeling is get the classes / object model as close as possible to
what PostgreSQL exposes. As stated for 7.2 and before this is one thing,
for 7.3 onwards its another.

Perhaps you can freeze pgAdminII code base at some soon point, make it
known this is where support for 7.2 and earlier ends, and move the version
number up a notch and follow through with the 7.3 only route from here on
in? Perhaps for a season offer bug fixe releases only to the frozen 7.2
version, with a cut off date, roughly in keeping with the expected adoption
rate of 7.3. For us mere NT/2000 folk, perhaps also wait until 7.3 is out
on Cygwin, too before freezing all support for 7.2.

Ahhh, the wonderful world of open source.... Its like looking at the best
countryside in full clarity..... but whilst sitting on a train,
the view always keeps shifting..

Tim Finch,
FosterFinch Ltd
http://www.fosterfinch.co.uk