Re: PG on Suse

From: Stefan Huber <looseleaf(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG on Suse
Date: 2001-10-17 17:25:23
Lists: pgsql-admin

>1) Is it better to install from source or from SRPM ?

Compile manually. reason: up to date.

>2) Where have I to put the binaries and data ?
>I know the default are: /usr/local/pgsql/bin/ and /usr/local/pgsql/data/
>but SUSE use /usr/bin/ and /var/lib/pgsql/data.

just leave the defaults of the Postgresql-tarball (=/usr/local/pgsql/)

>3) Can I make a simple ./configure or is better to use any command line
>options?

If you don't need native Perl or whateve rinterfaces, SSL, ... you can run
a simple ./configure (/usr/local/pgsql/ will be the destination)

>4) To start postgres at system startup can I mantain the postgres Suse
>script for the 7.0.3. version or I have to make a script by myself?

Have a look at contrib/start-scripts/ in the source-tarball.

>5) If now I install PG from source, do I need to reinstall PG when Suse
>releases the upgrade ?
>Thanks in advance for your help.

if you don't have the old SuSE package installed, just don't do anything.
Keep upgrading manually (ie: compile, if you find an upgrade necessary)

Stefan

--
Wohlstand ist, wenn die Menschen mehr Uhren haben, als Zeit.