Turning on/off the logfile

From: Gerald Gutierrez <pozix(at)home(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Turning on/off the logfile
Date: 2001-06-02 03:24:32
Lists: pgsql-general

PostgreSQL spits out logging information to stdout and stderr which can
then be piped to a file to act as a "log file". Is there a way to get
PostgreSQL to enable/disable this output without restarting the server?
Currently I have to edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql to run postgresql
with >mylogfile or >/dev/null, and restart the server.

If there isn't an ability to do this, I think I'll whip up a little script
that will read stderr/stdin but listen to signals and turn the output on or
off.

Thanks.

Gerald.