Re: Alternate Database Locations

From: "Brian C(dot) Doyle" <bcdoyle(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: "Roderick A(dot) Anderson" <raanders(at)altoplanos(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Alternate Database Locations
Date: 2000-10-25 19:20:29
Lists: pgsql-sql

Well I got it working kinda.

You have set up an environment for the new directory and export it under
the PGSQL super user account

PGDATA2=/home/userid
export PGDATA2

Then run
initlocation PGDATA2

After that you have to restart your postmaster with the data dir as PGDATA2
postmaster -d PGDATA2

Now you can greate a new db in a new location
createdb mydb -D PGDATA2

that is it and you have a new location for ALL your database if you use it
... If you do not add -D PGDATA2 for future db it writes to the default
location but you may have problems access it.

I am still trying to find out how to get multiple postmasters running on
different ports at the same time. Does anyone have any clue how to do that?