pg_basebackup --progress output for batch execution

From: Martin Marques <martin(dot)marques(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: pg_basebackup --progress output for batch execution
Date: 2017-09-29 23:00:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Some time ago I had to work on a system where I was cloning a standby
using pg_basebackup, that didn't have screen or tmux. For that reason I
redirected the output to a file and ran it with nohup.

I normally (always actually ;) ) run pg_basebackup with --progress and
--verbose so I can follow how much has been done. When done on a tty you
get a nice progress bar with the percentage that has been cloned.

The problem came with the execution and redirection of the output, as
the --progress option will write a *very* long line!

Back then I thought of writing a patch (actually someone suggested I do
so) to add a --batch-mode option which would change the behavior
pg_basebackup has when printing the output messages.

Attach is the patch. I'll be submitting it to the CF.

P.D.: I'm aware that there's a documentation patch missing. :)

Kind regards,

--
Martín Marqués http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Adding-an-option-to-pg_basebackup-to-output-messages.patch text/x-patch 3.0 KB