Re: Reg: Records Size

From: John Barham <jbarham(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: sandhya <sandhyar(at)amiindia(dot)co(dot)in>
Cc: postgre <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Sivakumar K <sivakumark(at)aztec(dot)soft(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Reg: Records Size
Date: 2005-11-11 09:10:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 11/11/05, sandhya <sandhyar(at)amiindia(dot)co(dot)in> wrote:
> please...tell me if there is possibility of finding out the size of a
> record in the specified table.
> Is there any built in function to know the size of each record by passing a
> query?
> I need this Inorder to allocate the memory after retrieving the records.
> Pls suggest me.

You are not giving enough information. What programming language are
you using? What do you mean by a "record"? Do you want to know much
memory to allocate to store each tuple resulting from a query? If so,
that will obviously depend on the type of each column and the size of
each field.

John Barham