psql: tab-completion fails SET var=

From: "Erik Rijkers" <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: psql: tab-completion fails SET var=
Date: 2012-03-30 18:15:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

(in hopes that the current changes to tab-completion will help to get this fixed)

tab-completion goes wrong on SET setting=...

example:

If you want to input "set search_path=myschema;" without spaces around '=',
and you try tab-completion halfway the schemaname:

set search_path=mysch
^tab

then the initial part of the schema name ('mysch') gets removed and replaced with 'TO'.

So that you now have:

set search_path=TO <cursor>

You lose the part of the schema name that was already input.

With spaces that doesn't happen, but after all tabcompletion is about avoiding keystrokes and errors.

Tab-completion is great and this search_path-annoyance happens to me all the time; my fingers
can't seem to learn this exception.

(pgsql 9.2devel, problem also in latest 9.1.3)

Thanks,

Erik Rijkers