Need help for constructing query

From: Marco <netuse(at)lavabit(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Need help for constructing query
Date: 2011-03-25 13:25:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I have a table like this:

id date min max value
1 2011-03-25 20 30 17
3 2011-03-21 40 55 43
3 2011-03-23 40 55 52
2 2011-02-25 5 2
4 2011-03-15 74
1 2011-03-22 20 30 24

I'm looking for a query that outputs the last rows (highest date) per id where
the value is between min and max. I already have problems displaying the last
rows per id. Something like

select id, max(date) from mytable group by id;

gives just the id and the date, not the other values. I think of doing this in
two steps:

1) Display the rows with the highest date per id. That gives as many rows as
ids exist.
2) Remove the rows that do not match ( value<max and value>min )

Marco