Re: Need a builtin way to run all tests faster manner

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need a builtin way to run all tests faster manner
Date: 2017-03-08 21:32:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/6/17 19:53, Andres Freund wrote:
> I'm just not quite sure what the best way is to make it easier to run
> tests in parallel within the tree.

make check-world -j2 seems to run fine for me.

With higher -j I appear to be running out of memory or disks space, so I
haven't checked that any further, but it seems possible.

You can also run prove with a -j option.

And we could parallelize some of the contrib/pl tests, e.g., plpython.

(The problem is that parallel make and parallel tests together might
explode a bit, so we might want some way to control which aspect we
parallelize.)