Re: Pet Peeves?

From: "Daniel Verite" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pet Peeves?
Date: 2009-01-30 13:32:00
Lists: pgsql-general

Gregory Stark wrote:

> Is it the hierarchical query ability you're looking for or pivot?
> The former we are actually getting in 8.4.
>
> AFAIK even in systems with pivot you still have to
> declare a fixed list of columns in advance anyways.
> Do you see a system where it works differently?

MS-Access SQL has a TRANSFORM clause that allows for crosstab queries
without the need to know in advance the number of columns:

As for Oracle, it wasn't possible until recently but now 11g has the
PIVOT clause:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/oracle-database-11g-top-f
eatures/11g-pivot.html

In contrast of these clauses, PG's contrib/tablefunc looks more limited
and quite harder to use.

Best regards,
--
Daniel
PostgreSQL-powered mail user agent and storage: