Re: Supporting = operator in gin/gist_trgm_ops

From: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Georgios <gkokolatos(at)protonmail(dot)com>, Julien Rouhaud <julien(dot)rouhaud(at)free(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Supporting = operator in gin/gist_trgm_ops
Date: 2020-11-14 08:37:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-11-14 06:30, Alexander Korotkov wrote:

> [v4-0001-Handle-equality...in-contrib-pg_trgm.patch (~]
>
> I'm going to push this if no objections.

About the sgml, in doc/src/sgml/pgtrgm.sgml :

Beginning in <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> 14, these indexes
also support equality operator (simple comparison operators are not
supported).

should be:

Beginning in <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> 14, these indexes
also support the equality operator (simple comparison operators are not
supported).

(added 'the')

And:

Although these indexes might have lower the performance of equality
operator
search than regular B-tree indexes.

should be (I think - please check the meaning)

Although these indexes might have a lower performance with equality
operator
search than with regular B-tree indexes.

I am not sure I understood this last sentence correctly. Does this mean
the slower trgm index might be chosen over the faster btree?

Thanks,

Erik Rijkers