Re: Partitioning for query performance

From: "Danny Lo" <lo(dot)dannyk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Partitioning for query performance
Date: 2010-04-13 08:44:39
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

I have a question regarding improving query performing using table
partitioning:

I am a postgreSQL novice and have a table with 1-1.5TB of data. I am
thinking about a range partition of the data using date ranges as my queries
often condition on a date or range of dates in the WHERE clause. However, I
often run my queries dynamically in a pl/pgsql function using the EXECUTE
command. It goes something like this:

WHILE (current_date <= end_date) LOOP

/* some code */

EXECUTE 'SELECT * from
tablename

where date = ''' ||
current_date || '''';

/* some more code */

current_date := current_date +
1;

END LOOP;

In light of the below caveat from the postgreSQL manual, am I right to say
there is no performance benefit from table partitioning?

Thanks very much!

The following caveats apply to constraint exclusion:

. Constraint exclusion only works when the query's WHERE clause
contains constants. A parameterized query will not be optimized, since the
planner cannot know which partitions the parameter value might select at run
time. For the same reason, "stable" functions such as CURRENT_DATE must be
avoided.