Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Date: 2018-12-19 16:38:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/12/18 4:44 AM, Andres Freund wrote:

>> +1 on all that. Per the trend of this thread, I see a bunch of
>> committers and contributors commenting about *not* removing this code,
>> so sending a patch to actually remove it looks like a throw into an
>> abysmal void.
>
> I don't think it's as clear as you make it out to be:
>
> In favor:
> - David Steele
> - Andres Freund
> - Stephen Frost, I think
> Against:
> - Simon Riggs
> - Robert Haas
> - Michael Paquier
> - Andreas Karlsson
> - Peter Eisentraut, I think
>
> While that's clearly lopsided, I still think it's pretty darn absurd to
> call such a situation "a throw into an abysmal void".

The way I read the discussion, there is no consensus for getting this
into PG12, but there does seem to be one for PG13.

I'll push this to the first post-PG12 CF when one appears. Can we just
go ahead and create a 2019-07 CF now? I know we generally discuss this
at PGCon, but we can always rename it, right?

--
-David
david(at)pgmasters(dot)net