Re: query a table from one database to another

From: Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: AI Rumman <rummandba(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: query a table from one database to another
Date: 2010-01-28 16:31:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 11:36:55AM +0600, AI Rumman wrote:
> I am getting the error:

> LINE 1: select dblink_connect('dbname=postgres');
> ^
> HINT: No function matches the given name and argument types. You might
> need to add explicit type casts.
>
> Please tell me why? I am using Postgresql 8.3

I'm guessing that this is because you're trying to us dblink without having
installed it. I don't know how you've installed PostgreSQL; on my Ubuntu
system there's a package called postgresql-contrib I would need to install
first.

Once you have the package, you need to get dblink into your database. Like
most contrib modules, dblink comes with a SQL script you need to run to create
the necessary functions and other objects. In this case it's called
dblink.sql. Find that file -- in my case it's part of the postgresql-contrib
package -- and execute it in your database to create that function.

--
Joshua Tolley / eggyknap
End Point Corporation