Re: SQL/JSON revisited

From: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, e(dot)indrupskaya(at)postgrespro(dot)ru
Subject: Re: SQL/JSON revisited
Date: 2023-04-03 20:00:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Alvaro,

03.04.2023 20:16, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> So I pushed 0001 on Friday, and here are 0002 (which I intend to push
> shortly, since it shouldn't be controversial) and the "JSON query
> functions" patch as 0003. After looking at it some more, I think there
> are some things that need to be addressed by one of the authors:
>
> - the gram.y solution to the "ON ERROR/ON EMPTY" clauses is quite ugly.
> I think we could make that stuff use something similar to
> ConstraintAttributeSpec with an accompanying post-processing function.
> That would reduce the number of ad-hoc hacks, which seem excessive.
>
> - the changes in formatting.h have no explanation whatsoever. At the
> very least, the new function should have a comment in the .c file.
> (And why is it at end of file? I bet there's a better location)
>
> - some nasty hacks are being used in the ECPG grammar with no tests at
> all. It's easy to add a few lines to the .pgc file I added in prior
> commits.
>
> - Some functions in jsonfuncs.c have changed from throwing hard errors
> into soft ones. I think this deserves more commentary.
>
> - func.sgml: The new functions are documented in a separate table for no
> reason that I can see. Needs to be merged into one of the existing
> tables. I didn't actually review the docs.

Please take a look at the following minor issues in
v15-0002-SQL-JSON-query-functions.patch:
1)
s/addreess/address/

2)
ECPGColLabelCommon gone with 83f1c7b74, but is still mentioned in ecpg.trailer.

3)
s/ExecEvalJsonCoercion/ExecEvalJsonExprCoercion/ ?
(there is no ExecEvalJsonCoercion() function)

4)
json_table mentioned in func.sgml:
   <xref linkend="functions-sqljson-querying"/> details the SQL/JSON
   functions that can be used to query JSON data, except
   for <function>json_table</function>.

but if JSON_TABLE not going to be committed in v16, maybe remove that reference
to it.

There is also a reference to JSON_TABLE in src/backend/parser/README:
parse_jsontable.c handle JSON_TABLE
(It was added with 9853bf6ab and survived the revert of SQL JSON last
year somehow.)

Best regards,
Alexander