Re: RES: NewsForge Poll: Favorite open source database?

From: Russ Brown <pickscrape(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RES: NewsForge Poll: Favorite open source database?
Date: 2004-12-21 07:52:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Issues with the link aside, there's an interesting comment entitled
"MySQL has the better license", which reads:

Someday PostgreSQL might be "embraced and extended" by a predatory
company that will turn it into a closed product, because it uses the
(defective IMHO) BSD license. That can't happen with MySQL, which is
GPL.

Two comments, First, I'm not an expert on licenses so I can't vouch
on its validity with regard to the BSD license. Second, I get the
impression that MySQL itself is more on the way to being closed
source, beinbg as it is owned my MySQL AB who charge for it.