A question about inheritance and sequence

From: Marko Pahić <mpahic(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: A question about inheritance and sequence
Date: 2009-06-24 11:43:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,
I have two databases, and I want the same structure, and if I change the
structure of one database it changes the structure of the other. In
documentation I saw that the syntax goes something like this: CREATE TABLE
"User" () INHERITS database2."User"; But it's not working like this, and I
couldn't find the example. Can you please write the correct example?

The other problem I have if with sequence. I have this table structure:
CREATE TABLE "Notes" (
userkey character(40) NOT NULL,
noteid SERIAL NOT NULL,
note text,
PRIMARY KEY (userkey, noteid),
FOREIGN KEY (userkey) REFERENCES "User"(userkey) ON UPDATE CASCADE ON
DELETE CASCADE
);

How can I make the noteid go from 1 to max for each user? Because if I add a
row it goes +1 for all users? How would I do that the note id would go +1
for each userkey. Do I have to make nested queries and where would I do it?
Thank you for help.

Regards,
Marko Pahić