Re: Corruption of files in PostgreSQL

From: "Michael Nolan" <htfoot(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Paolo Bizzarri" <pibizza(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Corruption of files in PostgreSQL
Date: 2007-06-02 20:24:04
Lists: pgsql-general

On 6/2/07, Paolo Bizzarri <pibizza(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> What we are trying to understand is, first and foremost, if there are
> known cases under which PostgreSQL can truncate a file.

I think it's somewhat more likely that whatever is sending the file to PG is
the cause, either in how it handles the file or due to communications
issues.

This sounds similar to a problem I experienced with an application I wrote
that takes files extracted from email (using MHonarc) and stores them in a
PG database so that I can render them using a web browser later on. I wound
up having to store the files in BASE64 encoding to keep them from getting
corrupted.
--
Mike Nolan