Re: Alter index rename concurrently to

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrey Klychkov <aaklychkov(at)mail(dot)ru>, Victor Yegorov <vyegorov(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Alter index rename concurrently to
Date: 2018-08-01 07:04:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 31/07/2018 23:25, Tom Lane wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
>> On 27/07/2018 16:16, Robert Haas wrote:
>>> I also suspect that an appropriate fix might be to ensure that
>>> AcceptInvalidationMessages() is run at least once at the beginning of
>>> parse analysis.
>
>> Why don't we just do that?
>
> Don't we do that already? Certainly it should get run in advance of
> any relation name lookup. There is one at transaction start also,
> if memory serves.

Right, we do it at transaction start and when opening a relation with a
lock that you don't already have. Which I suppose in practice is almost
equivalent to at least once per command, but you can construct cases
where subsequent commands in a transaction use the all same tables as
the previous commands, in which case they don't run AIM() again.