OS X Window Management

From: leon-pg(at)comvision(dot)com
To: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: OS X Window Management
Date: 2005-04-21 15:05:05
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Firstly, let me say a big "Thank You!" to all of you who've worked so
hard to get pgAdmin3 to build nicely on Mac OS X! It's really come a
long way since I started playing with it last year.

I'm running on wxWidgets CVS and pgAdmin3 CVS. The build worked great,
apart from the non-executable script in the "make install" process.

There's a window management issue that needs to be addressed if
pgAdmin3 OS X is to be properly Mac-ish. The standard way to manage an
app's open windows in OS X would be to have a Window menu listing all
the open windows of the application, plus a Cmd-` keyboard shortcut to
cycle between open windows. pgAdmin3 is lacking these features. The
best workaround right now is to right-click the pgAdmin3 icon in the
Dock (taskbar analog), which gives you a list of all open windows.

I brought this up here a while ago, and it was mentioned that since
pgAdmin3 is an SDI app, the Window menu doesn't really apply. However,
on the Mac, all apps are sort of MDI. I'm not sure if this is something
that should be addressed in pgAdmin3 itself or in wxMac.

Thoughts?

Thanks again! It's great to see my pgAdmin3 finally have a real icon on
it!

Leon