Re: Unified logging system for command-line programs

From: Arthur Zakirov <a(dot)zakirov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Donald Dong <xdong(at)csumb(dot)edu>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Unified logging system for command-line programs
Date: 2019-03-13 11:36:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

On 22.02.2019 11:39, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Here is an updated patch. I've finished the functionality to the point
> where I'm content with it. I fixed up some of the remaining special
> cases in pg_dump that I hadn't sorted out last time. I also moved the
> scattered setvbuf(stderr, ...) handling (for Windows) into a central
> place. Colors can now be configured, too.
I played with the patch and with coloring of an output. It works neat.
On thing I noticed that some messages may have double log level. For
example:

$ psql test
psql: fatal: FATAL: database "test" does not exist

It is becase psql appends its own level and appends the message from a
server (including servers log level). I don't think that it is nasty,
but it may confuse someone. Notice that without the patch the output is:

$ psql test
psql: FATAL: database "test" does not exist

--
Arthur Zakirov
Russian Postgres Company