Re: SQL Error Code Anomaly

From: dmp <danap(at)ttc-cmc(dot)net>
To: Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson <johann(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL Error Code Anomaly
Date: 2012-07-11 01:21:36
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> During my work on the binary stream patch, I came across this:
>
> The error code PSQLState.NUMERIC_CONSTANT_OUT_OF_RANGE = 42820 is not
> defined in
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/errcodes-appendix.html
>
> Is this a concern? Is there a list of error codes defined by the JDBC
> driver somewhere? I did not see anything at first glance.
>
> I did not come across 42820 in the SQL standard either. Only that 42xxx
> is _syntax error or access rule violation_.

> I have not investigated this further.

I do not know if this is much more help, but the PSQLState class has a
general comment for a list of states which NUMERIC_CONSTANT_OUT_OF_RANGE
is one:

/**
* The server sent us a response the driver was not prepared for and
* is either bizarre datastream corruption, a driver bug, or
* a protocol violation on the server's part.
*/

Upon a little futher digging this particular state is associated with the
two classes PGInterval & PGMoney. In PGInterval it is thrown on a Number
FormatException looks like if an invalid character is given for the interval.

In PGMoney likewise. Both of these occurs while setting the Value. Now my
code is a litle out of date so this might not be totally accurate.

danap.