Re: SQL - learning trail?

From: Monte Milanuk <memilanuk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL - learning trail?
Date: 2012-07-02 20:18:12
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 07/02/2012 12:47 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Monte Milanuk <memilanuk(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> Being in a similar situation (new to PostgreSQL)... I would say that
>> while the tutorials in the first section of the PostgreSQL manual are
>> great for SQL stuff... something similar for new users stuck
>> *administering* their own postgres server would be very useful.
>
> Yeah. It's kind of hard though because many of the details you need to
> know vary depending on platform and packaging.

I was thinking of some of the more basic tasks - like creating users,
granting permissions, etc. that are not - so far as I know - really
platform specific. Things like creating a new database, creating a new
non-super user and granting them all privileges on said database. Yes
its in the Fine Manual - in various places - but a basic worked example
/ tutorial for people who have just installed PostgreSQL on their own
machines and don't have someone more experienced running things for them
would be *very* helpful - in my opinion, being one of said new people.

I've relied heavily on some books, and still ran into some problems
(partly due to coming from a basic working knowledge of MySQL and *not*
having to mess with schema-level privileges along with database/table)
along these lines as even those seem to gloss/skip over such areas.