Re: SQL - learning trail?

From: Monte Milanuk <memilanuk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL - learning trail?
Date: 2012-07-02 17:19:20
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 07/02/2012 09:49 AM, James Hartley wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Paul Linehan <linehanp(at)tcd(dot)ie
> <mailto:linehanp(at)tcd(dot)ie>> wrote:
>
> Are there any SQL tutorials for PostgreSQL? A sample database/schema
> like the scott emp schema in Oracle?
>

> PostgreSQL's online manual, found at:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/
>
> ...may or may not be what you are looking for, but as for PostgreSQL
> information available in one location, this document cannot be beat.
>
> While I can understand that the size of the document can be overwhelming
> to newcomers, focus on the Chapter 1 tutorial first. As you come up
> with questions, look into other parts of the document for more detailed
> information.

Being in a similar situation (new to PostgreSQL)... I would say that
while the tutorials in the first section of the PostgreSQL manual are
great for SQL stuff... something similar for new users stuck
*administering* their own postgres server would be very useful.

Yes, the Fine Manual has all the necessary information... *if* you know
what to look for.

YMMV,

Monte