Re: BUG #6705: 32 bit

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, gj19861103(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: BUG #6705: 32 bit
Date: 2012-06-27 06:25:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 06/26/2012 06:26 PM, Dave Page wrote:
> Any ideas for a one-liner to add? I'm struggling to find nice wording,
> that doesn't invite people to report issues without investigating
> themselves first:
>
> * If you need help, please review http://xxxxxx before seeking further
> assistance.

The positive wording is good. Maybe even:

"Guidance for resolving installation issues can be found at http://.... "

... where that provides the common-issues list, a pointer to look at the
installation log, then a report template for cases where it wasn't one
of the common quick-fixes.

I'm happy to work on the docs side, possibly even do a quick
JavaScript+form report template to ensure fields like detailed OS
version, exact Pg version, etc are supplied. Which reminds me, I need to
find out how to detect whether a Windows box is on a domain with
non-default group policy, and how/if antivirus can be detected.

--
Craig Ringer