Re: BUG #6705: 32 bit

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, gj19861103(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: BUG #6705: 32 bit
Date: 2012-06-25 15:38:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 06/25/2012 11:10 PM, Dave Page wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 5:41 AM, Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au> wrote:
>> Dave: Is there any chance the installers link to that page from their error
>> dialogs, or a static-and-sanitised version of it in docs? If you're ok
>> updating the installer messages I'll collect up a sanitized version that
>> doesn't link to other wiki pages (or make it clear they're external) and
>> convert it for the docs.
> We can't do clickable links in those message boxes, so I'm not sure
> how useful it'll be in practice.
Argh. I've been in the browser-based app too long, I simply forget that
URL handling isn't everywhere.

The main ones that IMO need a where-to-go-next hint are the messages
that arise when an external process step fails, like initdb, failure to
install the runtime, etc. It's /always/ necessary to ask a poster asking
for help for the installer log - and how many people don't post or ask
for help, just get stuck and confused?

--
Craig Ringer