Re: temporal support patch

From: Vlad Arkhipov <arhipov(at)dc(dot)baikal(dot)ru>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Miroslav Šimulčík <simulcik(dot)miro(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: temporal support patch
Date: 2012-06-18 10:34:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 06/15/2012 03:59 PM, Jeff Davis wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-06-13 at 23:10 +0200, Miroslav Šimulčík wrote:
>
>> I have working patch for postgresql version 9.0.4, but it needs
>> refactoring before i can submit it, because some parts don't
>> meet formatting requirements yet. And yes, changes are large, so it
>> will be better to discuss design first and then deal with code. Do you
>> insist on compatibility with standard SQL 2011 as Pavel wrote?
>>
> Try to work on solving the problem and identify the use cases. I don't
> think the standard will cause a major problem, we should be able to make
> the relevant parts of your patch match the standard.
>
> That's one reason to work on it as an extension first: we can get a
> better sense of the problem space and various use cases without worrying
> about violating any standard. Then, as you need specific backend support
> (e.g. special syntax), we can take the standards more seriously.
>
> Regards,
> Jeff Davis

What's wrong with SPI/timetravel extension for system versioning?
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/contrib-spi.html

We are heavily using system-versioned and application-time period tables
in our enterprise products (most of them are bi-temporal). However our
implementation is based on triggers and views and therefore is not very
convenient to use. There are also some locking issues with foreign keys
to application-time period tables. It will be great if the new temporal
SQL features will be included in the Postgresql core with SQL 2011
syntax support. It is especially important for bi-temporal tables
because of complex internal logic of UPDATE/DELETE and huge SELECT
queries for such tables.