Re: A doubt with a jdbc connection to cygwin postgres

From: s0lao(at)netscape(dot)net (S(dot) L(dot))
To: sergrch(at)hotmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A doubt with a jdbc connection to cygwin postgres
Date: 2001-07-05 08:49:02
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

The driver name is just in the first form -- org.postgresql.Driver. The exception might rise because you didn't placed the driver in the proper place (and here I must point again to http://jdbc.postgresql.org where this hint was picked up) - for the 1.3.1 version of the jdk, this place seems to be <jdk_home>/jre/lib/ext/ -- maybe the "-classic" switch for the java command could solve the placement of the .jar somewhere else in the CLASSPATH variable.

> I dont know if the problem is on the cygwin postgres, because I only start
> postgres as the documentation says(I dont define a specific host or user or
> things like that)

You don't define, but they are "preconfigured". So, if you take a look at the last lines in your $PGDATA/pg_hba.conf you will discover the default access rights. Also the user name you must use is the one you were logged in to your windows when executed the initdb command. There is by default no password required. (Hint: a you could verify what users are registered with your backend, do a psql after starting the postmaster, and a "select * from pg_user;" after that. Anyway, the java exception shows you didn't reached at the user/password point.