Re: Data split -- Creating a copy of database without outage

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <igor(dot)shmain(at)gmail(dot)com>,<pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Data split -- Creating a copy of database without outage
Date: 2012-06-02 15:11:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Igor Shmain" wrote:

> I need to design a solution for a database which will grow and will
> require horizontal split at some moment.

Just one more bit of "food for thought" -- we have a database with
3TB processing approximately 50 million database transactions per day
(some with a great many statements or affecting many rows) running
quite comfortably on a single machine (actually sharing that machine
with a 2TB database on a separate drive array), without partitioning.

We have done a lot of tuning.

I'm not sure what your basis is for the assumption that you will need
to split the database across machines; you might be right, but you
might be engaging in "premature optimization".

-Kevin