Re: Oracle to launch Unbrakable MySQL?

From: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle to launch Unbrakable MySQL?
Date: 2007-01-30 01:44:11
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Jan 29, 2007, at 2:21 PM, Ron Mayer wrote:
> Sounds like Oracle may launch MySQL support.
>

> http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/01/
> will_oracle_lau.html
> "Oracle has suggested it will offer
> support for the MySQL code, undercutting
> the company[MySQL AB]"
>

> Interesting - but probably not that significant - there are
> already bigger companies supporting PostgreSQL. (thanks Fujitsu)

I disagree about the significance... If Oracle starts supporting
MySQL, they're essentially putting their name behind that database.
While people on this list know that that won't change any of the
technical deficiencies in MySQL, there's a lot of business types that
won't.

Put another way, if you were going to choose between open source
databases, which would you rather go with? One that's only supported
by (relatively) unknown companies, or one that's supported by the 800
pound gorilla sitting in the corner?

Another interesting thought... if Oracle offers support for MySQL, it
certainly wouldn't surprise me if they ended up outright *buying*
them in a few years.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net