Re: Libpq question

From: John Townsend <jtownsend(at)advancedformulas(dot)com>
To: Chris Angelico <rosuav(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Libpq question
Date: 2012-05-21 11:05:42
Lists: pgsql-general

In that case, yes, there are such implementations around. Martijn
mentioned a few, and I mentioned the Pike one, all of which do indeed
bypass libpq and talk directly to the server. It is, as I understand
it, an open and stable protocol, so it's no different from writing a
program that connects to port 25 and talks SMTP rather than dropping
to sendmail.

I downloadedPIKE <http://pike.ida.liu.se/>. The "PostgreSQL direct network module for Pike", pgsql.pike (and the other modules), shows how it was done.

Many thanks for the tip. I rarely step out of Delphi, so I was unaware of the power and versatility of Pike. The Sql.pmod reveals the other databases to which you can connect.

I think any PostGreSQL user or programmer ought to try Pike.

jt