Re: Draft release notes complete

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Draft release notes complete
Date: 2012-05-11 15:44:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 05/11/2012 05:32 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> But in the interest of actually being productive - what *is* the
> usecase for needing a 5 minute turnaround time? I don't buy the "check
> what a patch looks like", because that should be done *before* the
> commit, not after - so it's best verified by a local docs build anyway
> (which will also be faster).
>
> I'm sure we can put something in with a pretty quick turnaround again
> without too much strain on the system, but it does, as I mentioned
> before, require decoupling it from the buildfarm which means it's not
> just tweaking a config file.

If it's of any use to you I have made some adjustments to the buildfarm
code which would let you do *just* the docs build (and dist make if you
want). It would still pull from git, and only do anything if there's a
(relevant) change. So using that to set up a machine that would run
every few minutes might work. Of course, building the docs can itself be
fairly compute intensive, so you still might not want to run every few
minutes if that's a limiting factor.

cheers

andrew