Re: Draft of 9.2 beta announcement, please revise/improve

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Draft of 9.2 beta announcement, please revise/improve
Date: 2012-05-09 22:13:53
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

All,

Thank you so much for your improvements to the beta release
announcement! I've incorporated everyone's feedback. Some answers to
specific comments below.

==============================

The PostgreSQL Global Development Group announces the beta release of
PostgreSQL 9.2, the next release of the world's most advanced relational
database system. Version 9.2 will include major improvements in
performance and both vertical and horizontal scalability. The
PostgreSQL project asks all users to download and begin testing
PostgreSQL 9.2 Beta as soon as possible.

Major performance and scalability advances in this version include:

* Index-only scans, allowing users to avoid inefficient scans of base tables
* Enhanced read-only workload scaling to 64 cores and over 300,000
queries per second
* Improvements to data write speeds, including group commit
* Reductions in CPU power consumption
* Cascading replication, supporting geographically distributed standby
databases

PostgreSQL 9.2 will also offer many new features for application
developers, including:

* JSON data support, enabling hybrid document-relational databases
* Range types, supporting new types of calendar, time-series and
analytic applications
* Multiple improvements to ALTER and other statements, easing runtime
database updates

For a full listing of the features in version 9.2 Beta, please see the
release notes [LINK].

We depend on our community to help test the next version in order to
guarantee that it is high-performance and bug-free. Please download
PostgreSQL 9.2 Beta and try it with your workloads and applications as
soon as you can, and give feedback to the PostgreSQL developers. More
information on how to test and report issues in PostgreSQL is here [LINK].

PostgreSQL 9.2 beta, including binaries and installers for multiple
platforms from our download page [LINK]. Full documentation of the new
version is available online [LINK] and also installs with PostgreSQL.

===================

> One request, though: If you include allusions to benchmark results,
> please provide a link to the source. You don't have to include it in
> the announcement that is sent out, but keep it somewhere for those who
> will have to answer questions to the press or the public about this.

Right. This is Robert Haas's pgbench benchmark he used to test locking
improvements.

>> * Multiple improvments to make database migrations easier
>
> Can we add details to that last bullet? It's pretty vague in contrast
> to the previous two.

See above for clarification; I realized that "migrations" was a problem
word since what I meant was "schema migrations". I don't want to list
each patch in detail, because it would be a long list.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.