Re: Cannot Connect To Db From Local Server

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: "Rickard, David" <drickard1967(at)library(dot)ucla(dot)edu>
Cc: "'pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cannot Connect To Db From Local Server
Date: 2012-04-18 22:29:42
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 04/18/2012 03:12 PM, Rickard, David wrote:

> We have a legacy PostgresSQL 7.3.4 db on Solaris

That's not legacy, that's antique. I'm basing my commands on recent
versions - if the options differed back then you may have to adjust.

> which has recently (as in last 24 hours or so) begun refusing TCP/IP
> (JDBC) connections from the same server the db is on.
>
> The db is up and running---psql connects;

When you say psql connects do you mean that when you run psql on the
same Solaris machine as the server it connects? And if so, what
parameters are you using? Will it connect if you explicitly specify a
network address (psql -h 127.0.0.1 ...) to make sure it isn't using a
socket connection?

> I can access the db via pgAdmin III from a PC; I can connect via JDBC
> from a PC.
>
> However: any JDBC call (whether command-line app or web app) running
> on the db server fails with this message:
>
> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Connection refused. Check that the
> hostname and port are correct and that the postmaster is accepting
> TCP/IP connections.
>
> And the postmaster log contains the following message:
>
> FATAL: unsupported frontend protocol
>
> Mind you... I am using the same JDBC jar (pg74.216.jdbc2.jar) and
> connection URL in code on my PC and the Solaris server.
>
> Our pg_hba.conf file contains the following lines:
>
> local all all
> password
>
> host all all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255
> password
>
> host all all 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
> password
>
> And "tcpip_socket = true" is enabled in postgresql.conf.
>
> Any ideas?

What changed no matter how trivial? Was the machine rebooted or services
restarted? Any patches installed - automatically or otherwise? Any
config changes? Any possibility the client side has started using
something other than 127.0.0.1 (local addresses can be all the way to
127.255.255.255 and I've seen this when a client, for some reason, uses
127.0.0.2 for its address)?

The "unsupported frontend protocol" leads me to believe that the network
connection is succeeding but the client-server conversation thereafter
is incorrect or absent.

Cheers,
Steve