Re: Slow fulltext query plan

From: Benoit Delbosc <bdelbosc(at)nuxeo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slow fulltext query plan
Date: 2012-04-12 22:56:11
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 13/04/2012 00:25, Tom Lane wrote:
> Benoit Delbosc<bdelbosc(at)nuxeo(dot)com> writes:
>> EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT hierarchy.id
>> FROM hierarchy
>> JOIN fulltext ON fulltext.id = hierarchy.id,
>> TO_TSQUERY('whatever') query1,
>> TO_TSQUERY('whatever') query2
>> WHERE (query1 @@ nx_to_tsvector(fulltext.fulltext)) OR (query2 @@
>> nx_to_tsvector(fulltext.fulltext_title));
> Is there a reason why you're writing the query in such a
> non-straightforward way, rather than just
>
> EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT hierarchy.id
> FROM hierarchy
> JOIN fulltext ON fulltext.id = hierarchy.id
> WHERE (TO_TSQUERY('whatever') @@ nx_to_tsvector(fulltext.fulltext))
> OR (TO_TSQUERY('whatever') @@ nx_to_tsvector(fulltext.fulltext_title));
>
> ?

This query is written by a framework, also I thought that is a common
pattern that can be found in the documentation:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/textsearch-controls.html

if you think this a wrong way to do it then I will try to fix the framework.

btw your version takes 15ms :)

Thanks

ben