Re: BUG #6528: pglesslog still referenced in docs, but no 9.1 support

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "stuart(dot)bishop" <stuart(dot)bishop(at)canonical(dot)com>, <koichi(dot)szk(at)gmail(dot)com>,"Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Pg Bugs" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #6528: pglesslog still referenced in docs, but no 9.1 support
Date: 2012-04-09 19:07:43
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 03:37:09PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>> (Another related tool is clearxlogtail which zeroes areas from
>> WAL files when they are empty because of an early switch due to
>> archive timeout).
>
> Should we document that?

Our shop has been using that since before pglesslog existed, and it
has continued to work across many major releases with no change to
source code because it doesn't get down to the level of looking at
the xlog records themselves, just the segment and page-level
structures. I should probably put packaging that up as a proper
extension and posting it to PGXN as another thing on the list of
things I'll do when I stumble over that pot of round tuits at the
end of the rainbow. Right now the source is on pgfoundry. If
anybody wants to do anything with it before I find time, feel free.

-Kevin