Re: Hot synchron backup doesn't start

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: hans wulf <lotu1(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hot synchron backup doesn't start
Date: 2012-04-06 02:10:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On 04/04/2012 01:30 PM, hans wulf wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a replication server that shall handle synchronized commits. I stopped my master database, copied all the files to the slave, added a recovery.conf, started the master with synchronized_commit = on and then started the slave.
>
> I would prusume because the slave is nearly up to date, that the catching up would run in a few seconds.
>
> Now it's been half a day and I still see WAL sender and WAL receiver transfering data if I hit the linux ps command (The WAL id only changes every few minutes, is that normal?). The last entry in the logfiles of the slave says "redo starts at XYZ"
>
> Does the master resend the hole database in WAL format? For tests I started a delte command for one sigle entry, but it just doesn't come to an end. Through the ps command I can also see other transactions waiting for ages.
>
> My question: Is this normal? Or did I do something wrong? Is there a change of speeding things up? I guess it must be a general mistake I did, because between taking the copy and restarting the instances no or only a few tiny transactions where commited.

In addition to synchronized_commit = on you also need to set synchronous_standby_names to replicate to a standby:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/runtime-config-replication.html#GUC-SYNCHRONOUS-STANDBY-NAMES

To confirm, from the above:

"The synchronous standby will be the first standby named in this list that is both currently connected and streaming data in real-time (as shown by a state of streaming in the pg_stat_replication view)."

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com