Re: Download not found for postgreSQL 9.1 for both SUSE and Red Hat on IBM Power (ppc)

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Eye Gee" <eyegee(at)cmg(dot)com(dot)my>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Download not found for postgreSQL 9.1 for both SUSE and Red Hat on IBM Power (ppc)
Date: 2012-04-02 17:41:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Eye Gee" <eyegee(at)cmg(dot)com(dot)my> wrote:

> Can you point to me which sites I can refer to for the 9.1
> installer for SUSE and Red Hat for IBM Power.

As Robert pointed out, there is a difference between an environment
being supported by the community (i.e., we expect it to work if
built and installed there, and will try very hard to fix any bugs
found there) and the availability of an installer for that
environment. It is up to someone with an interest in a particular
environment to provide an installer.

If there is no installer for a supported environment, you have the
option of building from source and installing your own build. I
found that to be surprisingly easy, and our shop runs in production
on our own builds. See this page for more information:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/installation.html

If you have any problems while following the documented installation
steps there, please post again -- but not on the pgsql-bugs list.
Try pgsql-general.

-Kevin